7/03/2011

Over the River, On the Subway, to Mainland China I Go!

So yesterday marked one month since I moved to Hong Kong. My classmates and I celebrated by going out to Lan Kwai Fong (LKF), a road in Hong Kong island that is famous for its nightlife. Now, the interesting thing about LKF is that not only is it filled with clubs, but the people there make any excuse to throw a huge party in the area. We went on June 30, which was a Thursday. That night was crazy because not only is Thursday traditionally ladies night in the area but, June 30th is when the Canadians in the area throw a celebration for Canada Day (the celebration is punnily called Canada D'eh). The entire street was decorated in Canadian flags and booths on the side of the street offered cowboy hats with the Canadian flag on it or flag tattoos for answering Canadian trivia. I can only imagine the celebrations LKF will have for the Fourth of July. Alas, I have school on Tuesday so I can't stay up late. Oh well, we are planning on cooking burgers and hotdogs, and acting as annoyingly American as possible.

Now I suppose you're wondering how I went to LKF on a Thurday when I have class on Friday. The answer to that is that Friday was a public holiday in Hong Kong celebrating the anniversary of the British returning Hong Kong to China. Nothing much exciting happened that day.......except that I went to CHINA!!! That's right, I crossed the border into mainland China. One of my classmates, Sheimaliz, and I had been planning on going to Shenzhen, the Chinese city directly across the border from Hong Kong, and so we talked about it with our afternoon teacher, who is from Shenzhen. She kindly offered to take us there and to help us get through customs. We met her at the train station at 10am and set off on the 30 minute MTR journey. Getting through customs wasn't difficult, especially since we had visas for Hong Kong and mainland China. It was a relief once we got across the border, though, because I was finally able to read signs and understand people (to an extent). Signs in Hong Kong are written in traditional characters, which I cannot read, and people speak Cantonese, which I cannot understand. But in China people use simplified characters and speak Mandarin, both of which I am learning. So, going to Shenzhen made for great Chinese practice.

Our first stop was to our teacher's house to meet her family and eat lunch. She had graciously offered to have us over and called her mom ahead of time to tell her that we were coming. The homemade Chinese food was amazing. We had the most tender beef I have ever tasted, amazing tofu, and a whole fish with its head (our teacher told us that this is how fish is usually prepared because it shows that it is fresh). For dessert, we had melon and lychee (a fruit that reminds me of mamones). During lunch, we talked to her mother and little sister in Mandarin because neither of them spoke English. I must say that for only taking one year of Chinese, I was able to carry on a decent conversation. After lunch, we watched some of the weather report so that our teacher could see if we picked up any vocabulary from the weather chapter we had just finished in class. We also were able to look at her father's artwork. He is a traditional watercolor artist, and the beautiful paintings filled their house.

After leaving our teachers house, Sheimaliz and I went to find a street market called Dong Men. It was a shopping paradise where I could use my Mandarin skills to haggle for almost anything. The street was filled with clothes, jewelry, shoes, cosmetics, hats, electronics, anything you could want, and all for extremely cheap. Well, the "prices" weren't cheap, but the real point of going to one of these markets is to haggle,  and if you know how to bargain, you can get almost any price you want to. I've learned that the secret to haggling in China is to lower the price at least 70% at first, and to be able to walk away if they give you a price that you think is too high. They will almost always run after you and give you the price you want. of course it was even more fun for me since I was able to bargain entirely in Chinese!!!! Points for Chelsea! I ended up getting two dresses that fit me except for the fact that they are much too short because I am much taller than curvier than the average Chinese woman. However, I also found leggings to put underneath the dresses, so I'll look decent.

Afterwards, we walked around the ritzy part of town and then tried to find the tourist spots so that we could take some pictures. We didn't find any tourist spots, but guess what we did find.....WALMART!!!!! That's right, we found a Chinese Walmart. Of course we had to go in. I ended up buying a few DVDs. After that, all we had time to do was get dinner before we returned to Hong Kong and to the dorm. We were planning on a nice hot pot dinner where you cook your own food in a broth, but we didn't have enough time, so we ate Subway. By the way, Subway is not a good food chain to open in China because they don't like to eat cold, uncooked food.....unless it's sushi.

We ended up getting back to the dorm around 10:30 after having to get through customs by ourselves which still wasn't all that hard. Saturday and Sunday were fairly unexciting, especially since I have come down with a case of laryngitis and cannot speak. However, tomorrow is the Fourth of July and I am very exciting to celebrate.


Me in front of the Shenzhen Walmart

2 comments:

  1. Hey! A Walmart. That is so cool. Did they have a Chinese greeter too? It's great to see you having such an exciting time. Take pics of what happens there on the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool you found a Wal-Mart. Now, look for a Home Depot, since that is where I work now. There are 7 in China, go figure!

    ReplyDelete